5-Day Workshop Schedule
- Introduction to Pastry and Baking:Learn how to understand and control the pastry making process instead of just using the recipes! An introduction to many of the basic techniques necessary to make delicious pastries. This course covers creaming, blending, scones, pie dough, pate a choux, angel food cake, and custards. Hands-on: cookies, muffins, scones, cheese cake and more...2019 Schedule:October 7, 2019
- Cake Bases, Creams, and Composition: Learn a variety of cake mixing methods, creams, and fillings to make a beautiful layer cakes, as well as how to troubleshoot problems. Hands-on: Carrot cake, black forest cake, opera and more...2019 Schedule: October 28, 2019
- Artisan I: Systematic Approach to Bread: Perfect the details of mixing, fermenting, shaping, and baking bread. This introductory course is suitable for beginners and professionals alike--there is always something new to learn! Hands on: shaping, various mixing techniques, utilizing different preferment, and more...
2019 Schedule: October 7, 2019 ||| November 18, 2019 || December 9, 2019
- Artisan II: Baking Sourdough, Levain, and Wild Yeast:Build on essential skills learned in Artisan I in this intermediary workshop. Artisan II focuses on the intricacies of sourdough. Students will test how various starters and fermentation techniques affect flavor and appearance in a hands-on environment. Hands on: starting a sourdough culture, sourdough with different flours, ciabatta bread, Challah, and more...2019 Schedule: October 14, 2019 || December 16, 201
Advanced Bread with Didier Rosada: Think outside of the bread box. This course challenges traditional assumptions and explores innovative bread-making techniques. Learn advanced fermentation technology, mix dough with different flours, and create sweet dough using sourdough. Hands on: semolina crowns, pane cioccolate, whole wheat bread, Pan d'Oro, and more... This course is for professional bakers and people who completed Artisan 1 and Artisan 2 at SFBI.Next Date: TBD
- Breads of the World with Didier Rosada: Only offered once per year! Discover the unique flavors and textures of breads baked around the world. Create exotic breads, including Portugese Sweet Bread, Germany’s Heigebrot , and Mexican bolillos, just to name a few. The vast array of breads covered in this course will help you explore your creativity and grow your business in an expanding market. Next Date: TBD
- Baking with Whole Grain, Ancient Grains, and Alternative Wheat: Rediscover grains that have been untouched by science to create healthier, tastier bread for you and your customers. The Ancient Grains Workshop explores the benefits of gluten-free options for some consumers and modern methodology of baking with natural grains. Hands on: amaranth baguette, millet bread, sorghum olive, quinoa sourdough, corn bread, and more...
Next Date: TBD
- Modern Bread Theory: A Scientific Focus: In this course, the traditional approach to artisan baking is deconstructed with a scientific point of view. The main concepts covered are the relationship between bacteria and enzyme, as well as the influence of pH over the ecology of microorganisms that survive in sourdough. Other topics covered during this week are various breads from different parts of Europe and techniques to improve the efficiency of bread production. Different retardation methods are discussed in the class, as well as how to create a wide range of products by changing inclusions to minimize the number of mixes. The students will review the concepts learned in the classroom during the hands-on bread production.
SFBI welcomes our guest instructor Thomas Teffri-Chambelland for this course. Thomas is the founder and director of L’école International de Boulangerie (EIDB) in Provence, France. Thomas has a master’s degree in biology, and he has an extensive knowledge in the biological and biochemical aspects of sourdough fermentation.
- 2019 Schedule: October 28, 2019
- 2020 Schedule: May 11 and May 18, 2020
- Viennoiserie I: Croissants, Danish, and Brioche: The interest in laminated dough such as Croissant, Danish and Brioche is rising considerably and the quality of Viennoiserie in America is finally starting to catch up to the quality of well-crafted artisan breads.In this 5 day course, students will learn to mix a variety of croissant and danish dough using several different types of preferments. The 20 qt standing mixers are used for mixing the dough, and the dough is laminated using the sheeter. Students will also learn to hand mix and hand laminate one croissant. Traditional puff pastry, brioche and sweet roll dough are also covered. This course is designed to explain the whole process from start to finish. 2019 Schedule: December 9, 2019
- Viennoiserie II: Advanced Laminated and Enriched Dough: Viennoiserie II builds on the skills and techniques learned in Viennoiserie I. In this course, students will work with highly enriched doughs and use an Italian levain to create specialities such as Panettone, Pan D’oro, and Columba di Pasqua. Their lamination skills will also be expanded by learning classics like laminated brioche, inverted puff pastry, croissant with levain, and Kouign aman. This course is for students who have taken Viennoiserie I and professional bakers. Next Date: TBD
Pricing: 5-day workshop 2019: $1,098
Pricing: 5-day workshop 2020: $1,198
Breakfast, lunch and all the materials needed for the classes are included. 50% of the tuition has to be paid when you enroll, the rest will be paid when you will start the class.5% discount for the total tuition on a 5-day course if you have already taken a 5-day course in the current calendar year.
2 & 3-Day Workshop Schedule
2 Day Pie Class ( $498) : A good pie dough is the key to making any kind of pie. Focus of the first day is to learn how to properly mix pie dough with a mealy or flaky texture. We will show you how to prepare a variety of fillings as well. Products made in this class include crowd pleasers like Rustic Fruit Pies, Savory Quiche, Chocolate Cream Pie, and some holiday favorites like Apple Pie, Pumpkin Pie and more. October 14,2019
2 Day Pâte à Choux : May 9 & October 24( $498): Pâte à choux is a versatile base used to create a number of pastries. Its formulation is rather simple, yet there are many tips and critical points throughout the process. In this 3-day workshop, you will learn how to properly prepare pâte à choux , make many fillings and topping options, and learn helpful tips along the way. Pastries made during the class include some French classics, such as Paris Brest and Gateau St. Honoré, and several types of éclairs and cream puffs. October 24,2019
3 Day Tarts Class ( $698) : Learn to make a wide variety of tarts in this 3-day workshop. Day 1 focuses on learning about different types of tarts and tart doughs. You will be making several types of doughs, with various compositions and product characteristics, such as texture and sweetness. On days 2 and 3, you will finish a total of seven types of tarts, each with a unique filling, topping and glaze. Finished tarts include Caramel Chocolate Tart, Pear Bourdaloue, Strawberry Breton Tart and more. October 16,2019
For consulting requests please contact us!
- On-site consulting
- Research & development
- Bakery design layout
- Quality control program