5-Day Workshop Schedule
- Exploring the Ingredients and the Techniques: Learn how to understand and control the pastry making process instead of just using the recipes! An introduction to many of the basic techniques necessary to make delicious pastries. This course covers creaming, blending, scones, pie dough, pate a choux, angel food cake, and custards. Hands-on: cookies, muffins, scones, cheese cake and more...
2018 Schedule: September 17, 2018 2019 Schedule:May 13, 2019 || October 7, 2019
- Foundation of the Pastry Line: Focusing on a variety of tart doughs, pate a choux, and pie dough, this class teaches how to create a sensational array of pastries, ranging from rustic to refined, sweet to savory, and simple to complex. Hands-on: Paris Brest, eclairs, caramel chocolate tart, variety of pies and more...
2018 Schedule: September 24, 2018
- Cake Bases, Creams, and Composition: Learn a variety of cake mixing methods, creams, and fillings to make a beautiful layer cakes, as well as how to troubleshoot problems. Hands-on: Carrot cake, black forest cake, opera and more...
2018 Schedule: October 1, 2018 2019 Schedule:May 20, 2019 || October 28, 2019
- Modern Cake Methods and Design: Use this class to make any of the elegant, sophisticated, entremets composed of a wide range of mousses, cake bases, frozen inserts and finishes. Hands-on: Lemon black berry mousse, fresh fruit charlotte, white and dark chocolate mousses, whisky hazelnut mousse and more....
2018 Schedule: || October 8, 2018
- Artisan I: Systematic Approach to Bread: Perfect the details of mixing, fermenting, shaping, and baking bread. This introductory course is suitable for beginners and professionals alike--there is always something new to learn! Hands on: shaping, various mixing techniques, utilizing different preferment, and more...
2018 Schedule: September 10, 2018 || October 8, 2018 || November 5, 2018 || November 26, 2018 || December 3, 2018
2019 Schedule: January 14, 2019 || January 21, 2019 || February 4, 2019 || February 11, 2019 || April 15, 2019 || April 22, 2019 || May 13, 2019 || July 1, 2019 || September 9, 2019 || October 7, 2019 || November 4, 2019 || November 11, 2019 || December 2, 2019 || December 9, 2019
- Artisan II: Baking Sourdough, Levain, and Wild Yeast:Build on essential skills learned in Artisan I in this intermediary workshop. Artisan II focuses on the intricacies of sourdough. Students will test how various starters and fermentation techniques affect flavor and appearance in a hands-on environment. Hands on: starting a sourdough culture, sourdough with different flours, ciabatta bread, Challah, and more...2018 Schedule: September 17, 2018 || October 15, 2018 || November 12, 2018 || December 10, 2018
- 2019 Schedule: January 28, 2019 || February 18, 2019 || April 29, 2019 || May 20, 2019 || July 8, 2019 || September 16, 2019 || October 14, 2019 || November 18, 2019 || December 16, 2019
- Bakery Business Essentials: In 2018, we are excited to introduce a new 5 day workshop: Business Bakery Essentials. You learned the fundamentals of bread making process, and how to create delicious loaves of sourdough bread in Artisan 1 and 2, and how to make tender brioche and flaky croissant and puff pastry in Viennoiserie 1. In the Business Bakery Essentials course, you will learn how to take that knowledge of bread baking and lamination and put it together to create an efficient production schedule for small to medium sized bakery production. This class will discuss pros and cons of different outlet styles and production setups, and it will also delve into the concepts required for equipment selection, food and labor costs, layout and business aspects. Whetheryou are thinking about starting a bakery of your own or looking to find a new way to approach your current production, this class is perfect for you! Prerequisites: Artisan 1 and Artisan 2 or Artisan 1 and Viennoiserie 1.
- 2019 Schedule: February 25, 2019 || September 23, 2018
Advanced Bread with Didier Rosada: Think outside of the bread box. This course challenges traditional assumptions and explores innovative bread-making techniques. Learn advanced fermentation technology, mix dough with different flours, and create sweet dough using sourdough. Hands on: semolina crowns, pane cioccolate, whole wheat bread, Pan d'Oro, and more... This course is for professional bakers and people who completed Artisan 1 and Artisan 2 at SFBI. 2018 Schedule:October 1, 2018
- 2019 Schedule: March 18, 2019 || October 21, 2018
- Breads of the World with Didier Rosada: Only offered once per year! Discover the unique flavors and textures of breads baked around the world. Create exotic breads, including Portugese Sweet Bread, Germany’s Heigebrot , and Mexican bolillos, just to name a few. The vast array of breads covered in this course will help you explore your creativity and grow your business in an expanding market. Next Date: TBD
- Baking with Whole Grain, Ancient Grains, and Alternative Wheat: Rediscover grains that have been untouched by science to create healthier, tastier bread for you and your customers. The Ancient Grains Workshop explores the benefits of gluten-free options for some consumers and modern methodology of baking with natural grains. Hands on: amaranth baguette, millet bread, sorghum olive, quinoa sourdough, corn bread, and more...
Next Date: TBD
- Modern Bread Theory: A Scientific Focus: In this course, the traditional approach to artisan baking is deconstructed with a scientific point of view. The main concepts covered are the relationship between bacteria and enzyme, as well as the influence of pH over the ecology of microorganisms that survive in sourdough. Other topics covered during this week are various breads from different parts of Europe and techniques to improve the efficiency of bread production. Different retardation methods are discussed in the class, as well as how to create a wide range of products by changing inclusions to minimize the number of mixes. The students will review the concepts learned in the classroom during the hands-on bread production.
SFBI welcomes our guest instructor Thomas Teffri-Chambelland for this course. Thomas is the founder and director of L’école International de Boulangerie (EIDB) in Provence, France. Thomas has a master’s degree in biology, and he has an extensive knowledge in the biological and biochemical aspects of sourdough fermentation.
- 2019 Schedule: March 4, 2019 || October 28, 2018
- Viennoiserie I: Croissants, Danish, and Brioche: The interest in laminated dough such as Croissant, Danish and Brioche is rising considerably and the quality of Viennoiserie in America is finally starting to catch up to the quality of well-crafted artisan breads.In this 5 day course, students will learn to mix a variety of croissant and danish dough using several different types of preferments. The 20 qt standing mixers are used for mixing the dough, and the dough is laminated using the sheeter. Students will also learn to hand mix and hand laminate one croissant. Traditional puff pastry, brioche and sweet roll dough are also covered. This course is designed to explain the whole process from start to finish.
2018 Schedule: October 15, 2018 || December 3, 2018
2019 Schedule: January 21, 2019 || February 11, 2019 || March 11, 2019 || April 22, 2019 || May 27, 2019 || August 26, 2019 || November 11, 2019 || December 9, 2019
- Viennoiserie II: Advanced Laminated and Enriched Dough: Viennoiserie II builds on the skills and techniques learned in Viennoiserie I. In this course, students will work with highly enriched doughs and use an Italian levain to create specialities such as Panettone, Pan D’oro, and Columba di Pasqua. Their lamination skills will also be expanded by learning classics like laminated brioche, inverted puff pastry, croissant with levain, and Kouign aman. This course is for students who have taken Viennoiserie I and professional bakers.
- 2019 Schedule:
Pricing: 5-day workshop: $1,098 Breakfast, lunch and all the materials needed for the classes are included. 50% of the tuition has to be paid when you enroll, the rest will be paid when you will start the class.
5% discount for the total tuition on a 5-day course if you have already taken a 5-day course in the current calendar year.
For consulting requests please contact us!
- On-site consulting
- Research & development
- Bakery design layout
- Quality control program